Borrowing from banks and other financial institutions is never easy, especially if you want to borrow a significant sum of money.
In some instances, even if you have a good credit rating and no history of poor credit management, banks and financial institutions will still be reluctant to give you a loan. This is especially true if you want to borrow a large amount of money.
If you are in dire need of a large amount of money for specific purposes such as starting a business or consolidating debt then you may want to look into a secured loan.
Although you will often be required to pledge an important asset such as your property to the lender as collateral for the loan, getting a secured loan still has many advantages. For one thing, you have a better chance that your loan application will be approved if you have collateral, which will serve as security for the loan.
Lenders will also extend larger loans to people and organizations that offer to put up collateral. The larger the value of the collateral – the better the chances you will get a big loan. You will also pay lower interest rates and typically have more flexibility with the timeline of your repayment.
Always remember to find the lowest interest rate, as this will greatly affect your ability to easily pay off your loans in the long run.
To summarize, a secured loan will be suitable if you:
- Require a large sum of money for a variety of reasons (home improvement, weddings, debt consolidation, holidays, purchase of a vehicle)
- Have a valuable asset, such as a home to offer as collateral
- Look to pay the lowest possible interest rate
- Are going to be diligent about making your monthly repayments
- Want to have flexibility in the time length of your repayment process
- May have had credit problems in the past or been rejected for unsecured loans
An important thing to always remember is that your assets will never be at risk if you make your repayments.